|2-4 Kohlrabis (size dependent)||½ C chopped sugarsnap peas|
|1 clove garlic, minced||½ C cherry tomatoes, halved or whole, size dependent|
|2 small spring onion, diced||½ C carrots, diced|
|1 T grapeseed oil||1 T minced lovage (can sub celery leaf)|
|½ C blanched, shucked fava beans*||1 T fresh rosemary,chopped|
|1 C cooked wild rice||Salt and pepper to season|
- Cook wild rice or preferred grain or legume, cool and set aside.
- Peel kohlrabis, and remove inner flesh with a melon baller, or teaspoon, hollowing out the inside, and creating a bowl. In boiling, salted water, blanch the kohlrabis for 5-7 minutes (depending on size). Remove from hot water, and run under cold water to stop cooking process. Set aside.
- Blanch in boiling, salted water, fava beans (removed from pods), for 2 mins. Remove from heat and cool under running water, then shuck the beans from the skin. Set aside.
- Dice onion, carrot and zucchini, and scooped out kohlrabi flesh. Mince garlic, rosemary, lovage. Chop peas (in pod). Set aside. Keep tomatoes whole, or slice them in half if they are very big cherry tomatoes. Set these aside.
- Heat oil, add the onions, and sauté until very soft, then add the garlic, diced kohlrabi, carrot, zucchini, peas, beans and tomatoes. Cook over med-high heat for 3 minutes, then add the rosemary and lovage, cook for 2 more minutes, then add wild rice and cook until vegetables are soft, but firm and rice is heated through. Add a bit of stock or salted water if the mixture is too dry. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Set mixture aside when done.
- Fill the blanched, hollowed out kohlrabis with the mixture, brush lightly with grapeseed oil, and bake in oven for 15 minutes, or pan roast, in deep, oiled pan, covered.
Serve with Almond Chevre (or nut-based cheese of your choice) and Tarragon Garlic Scape Sauce
Tarragon Garlic Scape Sauce
|½ C diced garlic scape (may sub 4-5 cloves roasted garlic)||2 T fresh tarragon, chopped|
|1 med shallot, finely sliced||1 T Dijon mustard, grainy style|
|1 T grapeseed oil||½ C coconut cream with 1 T raw agave|
|½ C vegetable stock||Salt and pepper if desired|
- Fine dice the garlic scapes until you have ½ C, set aside. Chop tarragon, set aside. Fine slice shallot, set aside.
- Heat grapeseed oil, then add shallot and garlaic scapes. Saute until very soft and aromatic. Do not stir too often, and maintain heat low enough to allow for browning without burning.
- Add the veg stock and deglaze the pan, then add the tarragon and allow the mixture to reduce for 2-4 minutes. Add the lemon juice then mustard and whisk together well. Add the coconut cream and agave and salt and pepper, cook for 5 more minutes, allowing the mixture to reduce over med heat. Remove from heat and blend.
**note: this sauce may also be reduced until quite thick and served as a thick, warm, chunky dip for summer vegetables or crispy root vegetables.
To serve the kohlrabis:
Place 1 large or 2 small kohlrabis on round plate, top with almond chevre (or desired nut-based cheese), and the desired amount of the sauce. Serve warm.
For more information on participating Mealshare restaurants, visit www.mealshare.ca