Saturday, July 19, 2014 on the Global Edmonton Morning News
Edmonton City Council has given the green light to a pilot project that eventually could lead to the legalization of bee hives outside of zoned agricultural lands. Now, they’re looking for residents interested in being beekeepers. Tom sits down with Hani Quan to learn more about the pilot.
HOT LUNCH – Kevin sits down with Nate Henry, who is trying to encourage healthier choices in schools with a hot lunch program.
SCARS – Adam Kidd from the Second Chance Animal Rescue Society is back with a dog looking for a forever home.
INDIAN SUMMER DRINKS – Vinod Lohtia is back in the Global Edmonton kitchen to prepare some Indian summer drinks. (Recipe and benefits – provided by Lohtia – can be seen below)
Indian-style favourite summer drinks
Lassi with Rose Syrup
- Beats Body heat. Yogurt provides a cooling effect to the body.
- This also helps prevent Sun Stroke.
- Treats Urinary Infections: Yogurt has healthy bacteria which treats as well prevents urinary infections.
- Nutrition: Yogurt is rich in Potassium, Calcium, Protein, & Vit.B which like B-12.
- Regulate Bowl Movements: Yogurt has healthy proboscis which aids digestion and also fights constipation.
- Aides digestion.
- Weight Gain: Rich in cream/ghee.
2 cups yogurt / plain
½-3/4 cups jaggery or honey
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup ice cubes
2cups chilled water
2 Tbs Rose Water. / Available in south-Asian store.
2tbs Orange Blossom
¼ tspGreen cardamom pods crushed
¼ tsp silvered pistachios
¼ tsp silvered almonds
2-4 ea black pepper crushed
- Blend yogurt, jagerry, salt and rose & orange blossom water in a blander for 2 minutes.
- Add water, ice cubes and blend for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve chilled and garnish with the mixture of cardamom, pistachio, and almonds.
- Note: Do not prepare ahead of time, lassi is best drink fresh.
Adrak Nimboo Pani
- Stomach friendly
- Excellent for skin care
- Aides in weight loss
- Controls High Blood Pressure
- Aides in dental care
- Cures throat infections
1Tbs ginger juice
4Tbsp Lemon / Lime juice
1tsp roasted cumin powder
To taste salt
To taste black salt
8Tbs sugar syrup
6cups water / soda/ sparkling water
1tsp chaat masala
1tsp coarse rock salt
Lime / lemon slices
Mix together ginger juice, lime / lemon juice, roasted cumin powder, salt, black salt and sugar syrup in a pitcher with ¼ of the water and stir well.
Add ice and rest of the water stir and serve chill in a chaat masala rimmed glasses and with lemon slices..
To rim the glasses: Spread out the salt & chaat masala on a plate. Rub the glasses with lime slices and dip on to chaat masala.
© 2014 Shaw Media