KELOWNA — A brush fire sparked on a Kelowna hillside at the end of Lakeshore Road Sunday afternoon.
It was spotted by a passing cyclist.
“I came along, [saw] smoldering grass about six feet around. I tried to put it out with my water bottles and feet but it didn’t work,” says cyclist Chris Stanford.
Despite his heroic efforts, the fire spread to nearly ten times that size, growing to approximately 50 x 75 feet before officials could contain it.
How the fire sparked has not been determined, fire crews believe it was human caused.
“We had a fire at this exact location two years ago,” says Kelowna Fire Department Captain, Ron Golling.
“A cigarette was discarded side of the road. I would think more than likely it’s probably same reason for this cause.”
The good news for firefighters is that mother nature was their side.
“We were very fortunate today we didn’t have any kind of wind going,” says Capt. Golling.