Voters want a say before next phase of Rapid Transit goes ahead
WINNIPEG- Winnipeggers want a say when it comes to continuing rapid transit. That’s the findings of a new poll out Tuesday.
Probe Research found 71 per cent of people polled would like to vote in October on whether or not to invest in the $590 million project.
“This is a high number,” said Curtis Brown, the vice-president of Probe Research.
He said just because people are in favour of a plebiscite it does not mean they are all against the project. The poll was conducted for the Winnipeg Free Press earlier this month.
Of the 603 Winnipeggers asked, 47 per cent said they would vote no, 42 per cent are in favour and 11 per cent were unsure or didn’t respond.
Brown said what is interesting with the findings, is the support for a plebiscite comes from all corners of the city even though the project is focused on the south end of Winnipeg.
North Kildonan councillor Jeff Browaty will ask city council on Wednesday to vote on having a question about rapid transit added to this fall’s municipal election ballot.
“I think its time to have a public discussion about it,” he said. “It’s an awful lot of money and I don’t think the value is there today for $590 million.”
The province is pitching in $225 million dollars and the premier would like to see more support.
“I think clearly citizens are asking more questions about the value of the project,” said Greg Selinger, “The city has an obligation to let people know it’s not just about rapid transit.”
Some of the mayoral candidates say the project just needs to get done.
“The best thing I could do as the new mayor of Winnipeg is to complete this project,” said Judy Wasylycia-Leis, who is running for mayor.
Brian Bowman feels the same way.
“I’m not making a commitment to holding a referendum should I be elected,” he told Global News.