Province says sea trials have begun for Bluenose II
HALIFAX – Sea trials for the problem-plagued Bluenose II are underway according to the Nova Scotia government.
In a release sent Tuesday morning, the government said the ship had left its wharf in Lunenburg at 10:30 a.m. It is headed toward Cross Island for engine, steering and anchor trials.
READ MORE: Bluenose II coverage
The vessel is expected to arrive back at the wharf around 2 p.m.
The government had to abruptly cancel the Bluenose II’s pre-sea trial in May because of missing paperwork.
The cost of project to restore the schooner is expected to climb to at least $19 million, $4.6 million over its original budget. It is also well behind its original delivery date of May 2012.
The government said last week it expects the ship’s steel rudder and steering will need further changes before it can be delivered to the province.
Kelliann Dean, deputy minister of Communities, Culture and Heritage, said the province has been aware of problems with the rudder since 2010 and there have already been seven design changes.
With files from Brett Ruskin and The Canadian Press
© Shaw Media, 2014