June 11, 2014 9:09 pm

Randall Hopley appealing his seven-year prison sentence

SPARWOOD, B.C. – A man declared a long-term offender after he snatched a three-year-old boy from his home in Sparwood, B.C., is appealing his seven-year prison sentence.

Randall Hopley was sentenced last November for his role in the September 2011 kidnapping of Kienan Hebert from a second-floor bedroom.

Following a four-day RCMP search for the child, Hopley returned Kienan to the family’s home.

Hopley has a history of sexually abusing children but Kienan was apparently not assaulted during his time with his abductor.

Story continues below
Global News

Kienan’s father, Paul Hebert, said he’s shocked that Hopley is appealing the sentence and that he’s worried the long-term offender will hurt others.

Hebert said his son is doing well but still talks about the abduction.

He said he has forgiven Hopley and has previously said he hopes the man who returned his son will be able to change his life.

Hopley’s sentence includes six years and two months for Kienan’s abduction and an additional year for a number of break-ins at residences across the boundary in Alberta.

With credit for time already served, he still faces more than four years behind bars.

Hopley was also sentenced to 10 years of mandatory supervision after he is released – the maximum period under the long-term offender designation.

Court heard that Hopley entered foster care when he was 10 and remained there until he was 19. During that time, he was convicted several times for sexually assaulting pre-pubescent children and diagnosed with pedophilia.

A forensic psychiatrist told a sentencing hearing that Hopley is a “high risk” to reoffend if he’s released from prison.

 

Report an error

Comments