June 9, 2014 7:00 pm

Moncton shooting: Public visitation held for fallen Mounties, funeral details released

WATCH: A full regimental funeral will be held on Tuesday for the three RCMP officers killed in shooting rampage last week. People in Moncton have been expressing their gratitude for the risks Mounties take to protect people. Ross Lord reports.

TORONTO  –  A public visitation is being held Monday for the three slain Mounties killed last week in a shooting rampage in Moncton.

Story continues below

Members of the public can pay their respects at the Wesleyan Celebration Centre on St. George Boulevard  from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. AT.

WATCH: Woman describes how fallen Mountie saved baby brother’s life 

Plans are also underway for a regimental funeral service for the three officers Tuesday at the Moncton Coliseum. Police officers—between 5,000 and 7,000 from across the country—are expected to attend, along with the prime minister and the governor general.

READ MORE: City of Moncton releases details of funeral for fallen Mounties

Constables Dave Ross, Fabrice Gevaudan and Douglas Larche were gunned down after responding to a report of a man with firearms in a residential neighbourhood of Moncton on Wednesday.

RCMP are asking the public for any original videos or photos they have of the shootings.

READ MORE: Family of fallen officer says he ‘died a hero’

They’re also asking residents to have a look around their properties for evidence or anything out of the ordinary.

Justin Bourque is charged with three counts of first-degree murder, and two counts of attempted murder.

“Any photos or videos connected to the incident on Wednesday evening are considered evidence and can greatly assist us in the investigation,” RCMP spokeswoman Cpl. Chantal Farrah said in a news release Sunday.

Wearing red ‘to support RCMP’

Canadians are encouraged to wear red Tuesday in support of the fallen officers.

Created by other spouses of RCMP officers, the Facebook event encourages people to “wear red on Tuesday to show that the fallen, wounded, their families, and all members of the RCMP are in our hearts.”

As of Monday morning, over 37,400 people signed up to participate.

Schools reopen

Schools are reopening Monday after being closed last week following the shooting deaths of  the three Mounties. Gregg Ingersoll, the superintendent for the Anglophone East School Board, says all schools in the city will receive counselling and support.

Nine facilities that were in the lockdown area or with a personal connection to the officers will receive additional access to guidance counsellors, psychologists and social workers.

TIMELINE: How the Moncton shooting turned into a manhunt

The school official said children in city’s north end spent days inside as the hunt for the shooter was underway, and many also observed the worry their parents were experiencing and heard frantic phone calls being made to friends and neighbours.

‘Falling through the cracks’

The Montreal Gazette reports the father of Bourque tried to get his son help.

While he didn’t detail his son’s troubles, Victor Bourque said “People are falling through the cracks, and this is another one.”

He also said his family is devastated by what happened in Moncton, calling it the worst nightmare for a parent.

 

© Shaw Media, 2014

Report an error