A 118-year-old mansion located in the community of Mission is moving to a new location on Sunday. The McHugh House was built in 1896, and has sat in the 100 block of 18th Avenue S.W. for more than a century. The home, once owned by the Calgary Roman Catholic Diocese, was slated for demolition before the city approved a $450,000 grant to preserve it as a historic site. The move will result in some road closures and minor disruptions in the east side of the Beltline It’s being partially disassembled, including removing every brick from the home, before crews move it two blocks to Humpy Hollow Park, located along 17th Avenue S.W. The move will occur between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. on June 8. The house will be travelling down Centre St from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. followed by crews working the rest of the day to get it on its new foundation. In order to make sure that the house is moved safely, there will be some road closures and other minor disruptions in the east side of the Beltline community:
Citizens can come watch the move, however all members of the public will need to remain behind any barricades set up along the route. The McHugh House is the sixth oldest in Calgary. It was built for John Joseph McHugh, one of three brothers originally from Ottawa who were prominent Calgary pioneers and ranchers. The house is an early, rare and intact example of Queen Anne Revival-style architecture in Calgary.