June 5, 2014 6:04 pm

Police charge Edmonton man for forcing teen into sex trade

Watch above: Police have made an arrest after a teenage girl came forward saying she was forced into the sex trade. Eric Szeto reports.

EDMONTON — Police charged a 27-year-old Edmonton man with sexually assaulting a teenager and forcing her into the sex trade.

In November 2012, the 16-year-old told police she had been forced to work as a prostitute for a month, Staff Sgt. Jerry Nash said Thursday. The girl said all the money she made from about 100 clients went to her pimp.

Story continues below

She said she met the suspect online a year earlier and the two were in a relationship for a time, but broke up. He contacted her later, began controlling her and forced her to work in Edmonton’s sex trade.

“We had conducted an ‘escort sting,’ … and this under-age female came forward as one of the dates that we arranged with a vice decoy,” Nash said.

The girl, who was turned over to Alberta Child Protective Services, needed time to recover before police pursued an investigation, he explained.

“As part of her healing process we’ve been sitting on the file for a while, with great suspicion this person was involved in this activity. With the blessing or permission of the complainant, we moved forward.”

Nash said he hopes the girl’s courage inspires other possible victims to contact police. Anyone with information is asked to call 780-423-4567 or #377 from a mobile phone. Anonymous information can also be submitted to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or online.

Sean Patrick Wilson is charged with procuring for prostitution, living off the avails of a person under 18 and two counts of sexual assault. He was arrested May 21.

With files from Eric Szeto.

© Shaw Media, 2014