Calgary Marathon 50 Years running
The 50th anniversary edition of the Calgary Marathon saw more runners and money raised this year, than previous years.
The marathon kicked off Sunday at 7 a.m. from Stampede Park. More than 1,200 volunteers have helped prepare the city for the 42.2 kilometre race; there’s also a half marathon and a special 50 kilometre ultra marathon distance this year.
The event surpassed its fundraising goal of $1.1 million in the Scotiabank Charity Challenge. A total of 91 charities will benefit from the race. 15,000 runners participated this year, up from 12,000 the year before.
The following roads will be impacted between 6 a.m. and 1 p.m.:
- Olympic Way will be closed from 14 Avenue S.E. to 19 Avenue S.E. (Also, Olympic Way from 4 Street S.E. to 12 Street S.E. will be closed for one hour between 7 a.m. to 8 a.m.)
- 4 Street S.E. will be reduced to one lane from 8 Avenue S.E. to 14 Avenue S.E.
- 11 Avenue will be reduced to two westbound lanes from Olympic Way to 14 Street S.W.
- 17 Avenue S.W. will be reduced to two westbound lanes from 15 Street S.W. to 14 Street S.W.
- 14 Street S.W. will be closed between 17 Avenue S.W. and 12 Avenue S.W.
- Northbound 14 Street will be reduced to one lane between 12 Avenue S.W. and Kensington Road.
- 12 Street will be closed between 9 Avenue S.E. and 2 Avenue N.E.
- 1 Avenue N.E. will be reduced to one eastbound lane between 12 Street N.E. and 4 Street N.E.
- 4 Street N.E. will be reduced to one lane on east side from 1 Avenue N.E. to Riverfront Avenue N.E.
- 8 Avenue S.E. will be closed between 4 Street S.E. and 6 Street S.E.
- Memorial Drive will be reduced to one lane in each direction between Centre Street and the Langevin Bridge (4 Street N.E.)
- Memorial Drive will be completely closed between 10 Street N.W. and Crowchild Trail N.W.
- Riverfront Avenue will be closed from 1 Street S.W. to 6 Street S.E.
- Southbound Elbow Drive will be reduced to one right lane from 5 Street S.W. to 32 Avenue S.W.
- At Flanders Avenue S.W. ramps both directions on Crowchild Trail S.W. will be closed.
Organizers are also asking people to drive with caution and watch for runners in the Mount Royal, Bankview, and Garrison Woods areas:
- Premier Way S.W., Council Way, and 30 Avenue S.W.
- 38 Avenue S.W., between 13 Street S.W. and 15 Street S.W.
- 14 A Street S.W., between 39 Avenue S.W. and 50 Avenue S.W.
- 20 Street S.W. from just south of 58 Avenue S.W. to 44 Avenue S.W.
- Richard Road S.W. from Flanders Avenue S.W. to west of Richardson Way S.W.
- Richardson Way S.W. from Richard Road S.W. to Sarcee Road S.W.
- Sarcee R S.W. from Richardson Way S.W. to 32 Avenue S.W.
- 29 Street S.W. from 32 Avenue S.W. to 26 Avenue S.W.
- 26 Avenue S.W. from 29 Street S.W. to 14A Street S.W.