CALGARY- Police say it appears a case of animal poisoning in southwest Calgary that killed two dogs was a targeted attack.
The Tammi family told Global News that they let their three dogs out into their backyard in Patterson last Tuesday night. The pets were only outside for about 10 or 15 minutes, but when they were let back in 9-year-old Max, a sheltie, began vomiting everywhere.
After being rushed to the vet, they discovered Max had eaten chunks of cut up sausage which had been soaked in antifreeze. It turned out the other dogs had also eaten the sausage, which the family says must have been tossed into their backyard.
Tragically, Max had to be put down the next day. Phoebe, an eight-year-old golden-doodle, died the day after. The third dog continues to recover.
Police have canvassed the area around Patterson Rise, but have yet to identify any suspects. Officers believe they’re dealing with an isolated and targeted incident, but urge other pet owners to watch their animals closely.
“Pets are valued members of people’s families, and we take it very seriously that someone would actually try to harm an animal in the way they did,” said Det. Mike Belliveau. “We certainly want to attempt to hopefully catch the people that were involved in doing this.”
The devastated family says they have no idea who could have done this.
“They bark when somebody comes down the lane or anything like that,” says Meredith Tammi, but adds they’ve never had any complaints. “We never had a letter or a knock at the door saying stop it with the dogs barking.”
Anyone with any information about the incident is asked to contact police or Crime Stoppers.