Tips to a better BBQ season
You may have fired up the grill for the first time over the long weekend, but there’s reason to believe you should do it all over again.
Weber Grill has come up with five easy tips to clean and fine-tune your grilling machine. And when that grill’s in tip-top shape, here are some recipes for cooking up the perfect burger.
Weber’s tips to prepping your grill:
1. Clear the burner tubes of any blockages—A blockage can be anything from spider webs or debris inside the manifolds or burner tubes that restrict gas flow and may prevent the igniter from lighting. To clean tubes, brush the portholes with a stainless steel wire brush in an up and down motion. Do not brush lengthwise across the ports, as this will only push debris from one hole to another.
2. Clean the heat distribution system—Many grills contain heat distribution systems such as “flavorizer bars” to help prevent flare-ups. To clean them, simply turn your grill on high and allow the residue to burn off. Occasionally brush the bars with a grill brush or scrape with a putty knife. Then wipe with a cloth and warm soapy water.
3. Clean the warming racks—A soapy, fine steel wool pad will keep the warming racks and grill basket clean and free of smoke stains and debris. Rub the racks gently and then rinse thoroughly.
4. Carefully scrape the inside of the grill with a putty knife, and push the residue through the bottom hole. Remove the bottom tray from under the grill and empty debris in a trash can. To thoroughly clean the tray, use warm soapy water and a fine steel wool pad. Make sure you also clean the catch pan and replace the liner monthly, or as needed.
5. Clean grease drippings on exterior surfaces by using mild, soapy water. Never use an abrasive lemon-based solution or oven-cleaner as it can scratch the stainless steel or remove the paint finish. If you have a stainless steel finish, use an environmentally friendly stainless steel cleaner and a soft cloth to remove fingerprints and give it a nice shine. For porcelain enamel finishes, use a cloth and warm soapy water.