KELOWNA — The Kelowna Fire Department is reminding the public to make sure your smoke alarm is working following a fire early Thursday morning.
Crews were called to a residence on Badke Road in Rutland shortly before 3 a.m., where smoke was coming from the attic space of the single storey home.
“The residents were alerted to the fire by the smell and sounds of the fire. The smoke alarm had been disabled, if it had been working it would have alerted the residents much earlier.” says KFD Platoon Captain, Laurie Serres.
He says the probable cause of the fire was smoking material.