SASKATOON – With construction season about to get underway, city officials are urging motorists to slow down in work zones to ensure road crews complete projects safely and efficiently.
A city-wide awareness campaign was launched Tuesday urging drivers to respect construction zone speed limits as crews start repairing infrastructure this summer.
The respect work zones campaign will run until September.
According to officials, hundreds of close calls are reported by crews every year and motorists have been reported to police on occasion.
“We’ve had even a few of our employees bumped by vehicles,” said Chris Hallam, the city’s director of construction and design.
This summer there will be up to 110 active work zones daily as the city tackles the most aggressive construction season in Saskatoon’s history.
This is 40 per cent more work zones than last year.
“If everyone does their part, plans ahead and respects construction zones, we will be able to work through the 2014 season safely and successfully,” said Hallam.
Motorists can plan ahead and avoid delays using the city’s website.
The respect work zones campaign is launching during North American Occupational Safety and Health (NAOSH) week.