May 7, 2014 9:48 am

High carbon monoxide levels forces evacuation of Jemini arena

Around 150 people evacuated from Jemini arena after carbon monoxide leak traced to gas powered lift being used for construction.

File / Global News

SASKATOON – High carbon monoxide levels forces the evacuation of about 150 people from Jemini arena Tuesday evening.

Saskatoon Fire Department was alerted by a SaskEnergy service technician to the high level around 7:10 p.m.

Dispatchers were also told a young girl had fainted.

By the time crews arrived, the girl had regained consciousness and had been taken to hospital by her mother.

Crews donned their self-contained breathing apparatus before entering the building to take readings.

Monitors detected carbon monoxide levels in one rink to be 370 PPM. Levels in other parts of the building were between 60 and 0 PPM.

Employees were also checked and no one required medical treatment.

The cause of the carbon monoxide leak was traced to a gas powered lift being used for construction in one of the rinks.

The rink was closed for the remainder of the evening as a safety precaution.

Report an error

Comments