In the past week, one high school student ended up sick and another got a trip to the hospital after eating pot-infused sweets, according to North Vancouver RCMP.
The Grade 10 students, who knew they were buying sweets laced with marijuana, were from two separate high schools in North Vancouver.
Cpl. Richard De Jong of the North Vancouver RCMP said foods made with marijuana, like rice Krispies squares or brownies, is becoming more common.
“The allure of these marijuana edibles, which taste and look like simple sweets, makes them especially risky.”
De Jong said they’re not entirely sure where the drugs came from but police do know they were sold by a fellow student in the school. The male who sold the pot-infused desserts is in Grade 10 and has been apprehended by police. Charges are still pending.
Children who eat pot can become ill but how sick they become depends on their age, weight, potency of the drug and how much was ingested.
Both the RCMP and staff of the North Vancouver School District are working to educate students and parents to make sure school properties are drug-free.
They are also asking parents to speak to their children about this issue.
View the RCMP’s guide for parents on how to talk to their children about drugs here