OTTAWA – A bacon jam produced in Edmonton is being pulled from store shelves because it may allow the growth of a bacteria that causes botulism.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns consumers not to eat the spread which is labelled Bacon by Brad Smoliak.
The product from food company Kitchen by Brad was sold in Alberta in 125-gram and 125-millilitre sizes.
Best before dates are March 14 and July 14, but consumers are urged to return the spread to where they bought it or throw it out.
Food contaminated with Clostridium botulinum toxin may not look or smell spoiled but can still make you sick.
Symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, fatigue, dizziness, blurred or double vision, dry mouth, respiratory failure, paralysis and, in severe cases, people can die.
© The Canadian Press, 2014